My Response to 'You Look Disgusting'

If you haven't seen it yet, a blogger/vlogger called Em posted a video in the last few days called 'You Look Disgusting', and I decided to voice my response in a video and blog post. In it, she shared the hate she has been receiving on her recent photos of herself with and without makeup, to bring light to the problems with our society's perception of beauty and perfection. I personally have never understood how people can feel okay posting negative things about people online because it is something I would never consider doing.

Discrimination of any kind is totally wrong, but discriminating because of something we can't control? That's ridiculous. However rigorous our skincare routines are, however we change our lifestyles, whatever our doctors do, sometimes there is no way to cure acne because it is down to hormones being a pain and it is not anyone's fault.

As I said in my video, I found the comments on Em's pictures in which she is wearing makeup and is supposedly more beautiful to be the ones which made me most angry because they made it seem as if she is a piece of branding who is either not good enough or wearing too much makeup. Wearing makeup is something which makes her feel more confident and she does not wear it to cover up for those people who think "she looks disgusting" or those who thinks she is wearing too much. Like many girls and women, she wears it for herself and to feel pretty.

I personally think that our society's view of 'perfection' is distorted and it puts so much pressure on young men and women to look good in order to meet this ideal that doesn't really exist. A lot of videos relating to 'skin shaming' and 'perfection' have been drifting around the internet in the past few years, but I'm glad that Em's video has been seen by so many people and I hope that maybe, we might finally get through to people that hate is never a good idea.

https://youtu.be/0dbRHzy4vxY
Click the picture to get to my video!

I hope you liked my post and video. If you watched the video, you will have seen that I am starting a series called #BeautyfulChats on YouTube which you can use on Twitter or Instagram and which I will use to choose a topic to talk about in a video each week. Let me know your thoughts on 'skin shaming' and Em's video below or on Twitter because I would love to talk to some of you!

Love, Milly xx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I'll try to reply as soon as possible, but if you want a more urgent response, feel free to tweet me or chat on instagram! (@abeautyfulblog)

Milly xx